Saturday, May 5, 2012

"PETER AND THE STARCATCHER" on BROADWAY

Synopsis

"A wildly theatrical, hilarious and innovative retelling of how a miserable orphan came to be The Boy Who Never Grew Up, PETER AND THE STARCATCHER upends the century-old legend of Peter Pan..."

We went to see "PETER AND THE STARCATCHER" on the auspicious day this highly original play was nominated for 9 TONY awards.

It is one of the most unique pieces of theater I have ever seen. Did I love it? Not really, not because it wasn't well acted (esp. a tour de force by Christian Borle- the rest of the cast "ate up the  scenery"-a direct quote for the narrative-as well). The staging was magnificent. If you're a word person and love clever tongue-twisters, double entendres, etc, you'll go wild for it. I AM a word person but this is the type of play I personally would have liked as part of a showcase, not over 2 hours of it. However, I am in the minority: the audience and most critics LOVED it as well as my date.

I went knowing little that this is a prelude to the Peter Pan story we all know from childhood, and I was in awe and found new respect for the multi-talented Christian Borle, who I only know from the hit series "SMASH". WOW! 

(UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2012: BORLE IS NO LONGER IN THE CAST)

I had a good time and laughed 50% of the time, not bad since a generous friend was able to comp us-we had a nice night.

What puzzles me is that it was nominated for score and costumes--huh? Undeserved, since they was little creativity of both.

If you're tired of seeing traditional musicals or plays, check this one out but be alert-they cleverly speak quickly and melodically and do not take anyone who has not mastered the English language-it's quite a fete to absorb all the nuances.

No comments:

Post a Comment