Saturday, May 26, 2012

MOVIES: "BERNIE" & "YOUNG VICTORIA"

This last week I was reminded , once again, that a movie can make two hours go by without investing in much emotional effort as in the recently released movie, "BERNIE". Consequently , another movie can not only suspend you to another place in time -mentally & emotionally- but enlighten and entertain historically, as in the 2009, "YOUNG VICTORIA". The later is -and I don't use this word often- a masterpiece!

Both films are biographical yet worlds apart, in this case literally.  "Bernie" is based on the true story of the modern day quirky, Texas mortician , Bernie Tiede (under-played efficiently by Jack Black) whose complicated involvement with the town's cranky, widow (in a now familiar role Shirley MacLaine has perfected since "Steel Magnolias").
"YOUNG VICTORIA" is  beautifully set in the 19th century. We see a young, rebellious, beautiful Queen Victoria surprise our senses and dispel much of the uptight Victorian principles we so generally accept. Additionally how much her and King Albert did for the less fortunate and for the arts. One cannot ignore the parallels in today's "occupy" movement as well.

I shy away from two things in movies: the Coen brothers (yawn-pretentious, save for "FARGO") and period pieces, but I was wrong on one count here.
I was procrastinating watching "YOUNG VICTORIA" due to the period element and boy was I wrong to deprive myself in what I am now considering one of my top 5 movies EVER! It was flawless!!! Like a good book, I know I am enjoying a film when I don't want it to end. I could have watched this as a mini-series or an 8 hours film. I tip my hat to EVERYONE involved. Emily Blunt wipes the screen with this one, and the restrained passionate performance of Rupert Friend is magnificent; however, it was the entire  collaboration which makes this film exceptional. High praises go to director Jean-Marc VallĂ©e and the cinematographers, as well as the costumer, hairdressers--ALL OF IT!

If you like the Coen brothers-type movies ("Bernie" is not them, but their same style of storytelling, the actual director is Richard Linklater) you will thoroughly enjoy "BERNIE".
Maybe if John Waters had a hand in it I would have enjoyed this black comedy more.

But DO NOT miss "YOUNG VICTORIA".
 If you're in love or have ever loved-a person, a cause, a country or the nuances of everyday life you will savor this film from beginning to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment