Saturday, June 30, 2012

NORA EFRON DIES AT 71

NOT SURE I ADORED HER AS MUCH AS SOME THE "CHICK-FLICK" CROWD BUT I DID APPRECIATE HER POPULARITY AND SENSE OF SENTIMENTALITY IN REGARDS TO HER BOX OFFICE SCREENPLAYS & MOVIES HITS.

"Nora Ephron, an essayist and humorist in the Dorothy Parker mold (only smarter and funnier, some said) who became one of her era’s most successful screenwriters and filmmakers, making romantic comedy hits like “Sleepless in Seattle” and “When Harry Met Sally...,” died Tuesday night in Manhattan..."

I HARDLY THINK SHE WAS FUNNIER OR A BETTER WRITER THAN DORTHY PARKER BUT SHE DEFINITELY HAD WIT TO SPARE.

I believe her essays were funnier than her movies. then again one has to remember after you hand in an original script it's bastardized to 70% of your original-if you're lucky- piece. I always felt her movies lacked a certain something--it never quite got "there" for me (and trust me I have enjoyed numerous chick flicks in the past).
Save for "When Harry Met Sally" I was mostly biting time in most of them.

Regardless, I never met this unique woman so many truly loved--they can't all be wrong. I'm sure in person she was the best brain fucker and belly acher at any event. To make someone think is amazing but to make someone laugh is sublime!

R I P--Deep condolences to her family.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment