Friday, April 27, 2012

"THE HUNGER GAMES" (2012)

A well made movie for teenagers--not for people my age (I was elated I did not pay admission). It was still impactful since I can see the class distinction and other elements that warrant metaphors of not only class but government control, exploitation of our salacious nature as reality TV viewers, etc ( I could even see it paralleling the Holocaust's tragic course of events). But I didn't NEED this movie to explore those issues since I have so many time in my life w/ books, newspapers and interviews regarding the imbalance & injustice in our world. Additionally, there was so much CGI that I had a hard time trying to suspend the reality of unreality--if that make sense to you. It tried desperately to be a character driven story  (which are my favorite kind) but failed at almost every turn.

So for the demographic it was intended it's a home-run-well #1 at the box office for three weeks is clear evidence of that...

As a cinephile what disturbed me the most was the director's poor choice regarding the opening scene --when you begin so farcical it is painfully hard to then care of genuine human emotions and unbearable issues of poverty and abuse. It has elements of comedy but the message was far from funny, in my opinion, so why preface the movie with overt comical images? It was a disconnect too way off base for the rest of the premise. The young actors are adequate and quite beautiful to look at and Woody Harrelson's talent was a pleasure to visually savor.

On a complete sidebar: were all the upper class gay-or should I rephrase that & say effeminate?

No comments:

Post a Comment