Thursday, April 19, 2012

"BULLY" (2012)--the movie

Although "BULLY" (2001), based on actual events dealt with this pandemic problem, it was, after all, dramatized, allowing the viewer an opportunity for detachment.. In this latest documentary "BULLY" by Lee Hirsch (2012) one is placed in a more voyeuristic position; one feels the pain of both the victims & their families more passionately.

If you're a parent this documentary is invaluable, the dialogue is inescapable.. No one famous here, which makes the audience feel "a part of" (the solution or the problem).


Even a childless person , such as myself, remembers being bullied himself due to his sexual orientation- although not crippled by my past, the scars are forever. I was a teacher for 20 years and remember the importance of  establishing respect within the environment I worked.  Many a lunch time I would just watch from my window-from a purely sociological  standpoint- how the kids would interact during their lunch period in the schoolyard. If I saw foul play. I would strongly address it with concrete reprimands and consequences (which was one of the most disturbing parts of this film-the negligence and apathy of the principal--sadly, she knew she was being filmed and this was her BEST behavior? WOW!) Standing up for the under dog has been a way of life for me, my interest in considering becoming a lawyer or consumer advocate can surely be traced  to the mistreatment and injustice I once received (and , at times still feel-especially in the political/ religious arena).


The most heartbreaking comment, which also resonated the loudest for this viewer, was when a bible-thumping mother claims ( I'm paraphrasing here) their church taught all the evils about homosexuality and she taught them as well, till she sobs, "until it became personal". EXACTLY!

Anderson Cooper recently had most of the children and their families on his afternoon show "Anderson" . They address their lives today (can I just say Kelby would be a great person for Gloria Steinem to pass her torch to, a young girl remarkably way beyond her years in depth of understanding). There was a beauty of watching the camaraderie amongst the victims on the show which was touching and perhaps healing  (always recommended by the mental health profession when tragedy hits one's life ).


Although the topic is a powerful one and this documentary is worth watching , I'm not sure Hirsch was the best person for the job. I know it was not a musical but a subject I am so passionate about should not make me doze off. More was needed, though I'm not sure what that was. I admire his diligence and bravery but I think his weakness is in balance. The rationale of the bully in never fully-if at all-explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment