Saturday, April 14, 2012

Any Gays on the Titanic?

  "Were there LGBT people on the Titanic?  Of course there were, even if you accept the social constructionist notion that queer people were different in 1912 than we are today.  Moreover, in 1912 neither the victims nor the survivors of the disaster were likely to be “out” in the modern sense of the word.  But homosexually-inclined men and women already existed in 1912, on the Titanic and elsewhere.  Jack Fritscher, author of the gayrotic novella Titanic: The Untold Tale of Gay Passengers and Crew (Palm Drive Publishing), reckoned that “if, according to Kinsey, one out of six ordinary men is gay, 225 gay men died.  If two out of six in the travel industry are gay, 450 gay men died, making Titanic an overlooked but essential chapter in gay history.”  Since men were more likely to go down with the ship, the gay male casualties were undoubtedly higher than most...

Beyond my curiosity, I bow my head in reverence to all those who lost their lives and the families who had to endure the loss & grieving of their loved ones.


April 15th is a sad, historic day which acknowledges the tragedy of the maiden  and only voyage of the magnificent ship, The Titanic-100 years ago.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to comment about Archibald Butt and Francis Millet but I see the novelist mentions them. I mentioned your blog and this post in my own ranting about the Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was news to me---please saunas, liquor & horny men---it's a no brainer... (...just for you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I wrote about it:

    http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com/2012/04/are-lifeboats-seated-according-to-class.html

    ReplyDelete