Monday, January 28, 2013

Les Misérables (2012)



Les Misérables (2012)-In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after he breaks parole, agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's daughter, Cosette. The fateful decision changes their lives forever. 

____________________________________

TOO LONG & ALL THAT DAMN SINGING!

I COULDN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE OVER! 

 

It is ironic I say this with such aplomb because when it was on Broadway I saw it 4 times and loved it!

When translating a Broadway piece you need the right director for that specific transition.

Sometimes it works: "Chicago", "Gypsy", "Funny Girl" and others.

Sometimes it bombs: "Rent", "A Chorus Line" and now "Les Miz".

I adore Tom Hooper. He directed one of my all time favorite movies, "The King's Speech". Sadly here he missed the mark. The casting, costumes and cinematography were good. I think he wanted the audience to see this as a literal historical piece & it came off as a fantasy; whereupon, he asked of us too much suspension from reality. In the theater, it's easier to do that. 

I kept thinking that Buz Luhrmann ("Moulin Rouge") would have presented the script as a fantasy & I would have been more on board. Hooper kept me at a disconnect from his intent & it's translation. Ironically, Luhrmann is directing the upcoming "The Great Gatsby" and I think Hooper would be the better director. We'll see.

And who cares that Hopper made the actors sing live on set instead of the traditional prerecorded technique? It was an apparent struggle for some-namely, Russell Crowe. And I loved all the scenes involving women in the factories, skid row, etc. Additionally, nominating Anne Hathaway with minimal screen time seems unfair (don't get me wrong, it wasn't as bad as Judi Dench getting an Oscar for 8 min. in "Shakespeare in Love", but close). It just pisses me off.  Hathaway has gotten all the awards & will get the Osacr but I think others deserved it best. I love Hathaway but...

 

No one has really mentioned Samantha Barks in "Les Miz"-she was superb!

 

All in all it wasn't the hit I wanted it to be. If Sacha Baron Cohen's Thenardier and Helena Bonham Carter's Madame Thenardier weren't there for levity I think I would have sliced my wrist w/ the ticket stub.

Better luck next time Hopper.








No comments:

Post a Comment