Saturday, December 22, 2012

DJ DAVID HENNEY DIES ---50

I WAS STUNNED & VERY SAD I JUST FOUND OUT YESTERDAY


David Henney, the former Billboard Dance Chart DJ who went on to become an acclaimed dance music promotion executive, first at Elektra Records under Leslie Doyle, then Logic Records and finally as an independent promotion team with former partner, Peter Knego, has passed away at his home in Pennsylvania at the age of 50 of unknown causes.

Besides being such an acclaimed DJ he was one of my oldest friends in the "new" Asbury Park, NJ.
David, Shep, David H, Joe, Robert  & other pioneers are one of the reasons we even have a new Asbury Park at all.

I WILL MISS HIM TERRIBLY.

 

 He was always ready to make me laugh w/ a quip or read as we laid around the "EMPRESS HOTEL" pool on so many endless summers.  "You're a bitch"!, I would yell whenever he made his  "observations", at which point he would take a long , Bette Davis puff of his cigarette & throw his head back-accompanied by that Cheshire smile- w/ a sense of accomplishment that once again he got a rise outta me. Then minutes later he would howl hysterically and say,  "So anteater, (private reference), you're on the list I better see your tired ass on the dance floor tonight & you better visit me in the booth!"  That night-as I obeyed the "bitch" , he hugged me tightly like we had not seen each other in years, with a welcoming & loving smile. He generosity had no bounds. He always had me on a list or let me bring a reference & a hello whenever I traveled to one of his fellow DJs. I met many wonderful people through him (esp. my dear, beautiful friend, Amy G.). He was definitely a presence professionally & socially. Since he had moved to Philly I had seen him less & less, (hence, the reason I just found out about his passing 6 months afterward), but I always remember him with  that loving heart & witty mind.



("OUT IN JERSEY" magazine gave him a lovely tribute in their December 2012 issue-if you get a chance, read it).

GOOD BYE DEAR FRIEND...

No comments:

Post a Comment